Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Opportunities

I admit right up front that what I've experienced isn't even close to what other writers have experienced. Like my friend, who, for an assignment, went on a bourbon tasting tour or got to tour the new large cruise ships.

But one of the most beautiful things about life as a writer is that no two days are the same. Heck, no two hours are the same. Like today, I interviewed two people for the same article but got very different responses, wrote a blog on security issues in Google applications, and worked on my volleyball story. Tomorrow will be totally different.

Plus there are chances to do real cool things. I've gone on some conferences, including a cruise to the Bahamas, which allowed me to visit places I've never visited before. Last week, I got to meet a former NFL player from the old Colts and talk to some coaches I really admire.

On Saturday I went to a party and was able to talk about baseball, wind turbines, sustainable construction practices, religion, and the history of a local brewery, all because I wrote about these things in the past -- and trust me, it freaks people out when you can flip from wind turbines to beer without blinking an eye.

I couldn't imagine having to go to a regular job where I do the same thing day in, day out anymore.

No comments: