Saturday, July 7, 2007

Relaxing

I don't do it enough. Relax, that is. That's the biggest problem of working at home. The commute is great, the boss is great, the hours are ideal, the coffee is always the way I like it. But I never leave work behind. When I worked in an office, I could shut my office door, hop on my bike and (usually) leave everything for the next day. Now, if I go to the bathroom, there is my office door, and I'm reminded of more work I could be doing. I could get ahead. I could market. I could answer some email I forgot to answer.

My work never goes away. Shutting the door to my office doesn't help because I can see the door. Sometimes I need to come in here for something. Sometimes I want to listen to the baseball game that isn't on TV and my work email will tempt me.

But in moments, as soon as I hit the publish button on this, I'm going to have a late lunch and then I'm going to head out to the lawn chair my husband kindly got out for me. I'm going to read the next book for my book discussion group. I am going to relax in the sunshine.

2 comments:

Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

We should form a relaxation/don't-think-of-work self help group. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sue,
I know exactly what you mean. Working for oneself makes us push that little bit extra. The task list is forever growing as new ideas enter my head and instead of minimizing it we add to the challenge.
The thing though is that I'd rather do that then working for a boss. At present I do both.
Oh well, just another thing to cross off the list :-)
Monika