Friday, June 15, 2007

All By Myself

I wanna be . . . all by myself . . .

Okay a little variation on the song, but I'm thrilled because I finally have a day with an empty house. Since the daughter moved home, my alone time has been an odd hour or so here and there. After the baby was born and the daughter was forbidden to drive for a week, she went nowhere. Then school ended for the son, and he's been home a lot. And of course, the husband took a week off. If I wanted any breathing room or working room, I had to lock myself in my office. That gets a little claustrophobic.

But today. Oh blessed today! The daughter, the husband, and the baby are out of town, cleaning the daughter's apartment and taking care of final business at her old place. I was supposed to go along but was asked to stay here because there was a possibilty the transport people would arrive to get the daughter's car. (They called to say they would be arriving today, too, so good thing I'm here) The son is working 11-4.

So it's me and the dog. She's returned to her familiar spot next to my desk chair. I'm enjoying the quiet outside my office door. No tv blaring. No cell phone ringing or text message alerts buzzing. No one popping in my office to say "Sorry for interrupting, but . . ." I love my family but I'm the type of person who needs alone time. I think that's why I was always stressed working in an office. After a couple of hours, being around people all day made me uncomfortable. I can't even begin to describe the way I feel right now, but it's like I'm bathing in emptiness. It's wonderful.

Of course, I've done little work. I don't usually start writing until 2 or so. I don't write well early in the day, especially after being up all night with the baby. But I did send out a letter of introduction and did a few writing related things. Working was another reason I was left behind today. They all figured I had work to do. And I do. And I will. I just want to bask in the aloneness for a bit longer.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I enjoy that feeling of being alone too. Some people equate it with being lonely but the two are not even related. Maybe writers need that alone time even more to process what is going on in our heads. Whatever the reason - being alone is something I value and cherish.

Georganna Hancock M.S. said...

Many of us appreciate the joys of solitude!

Jacky said...

Glad you were able to enjoy some time to yourself! I know as a wife and mom of 2 (one being a newborn) I cherish my alone time as well!

~Jacky
vt251.blogspot.com

Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

I can so identify Sue. I was miserable around a lot of people at work. I love being on my own at home. Although I love my family, there's a lot to be said about the peace and quiet of just the dog and me.