Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Books Continued

My book group met last night (The Shipping News will not be included on our list of favorites).

We read The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian in January or so -- perhaps the only book in the history of our club that everyone had finished and would be included on a favorites list. I'm a huge fan of Chris's books and am in the midst of Skeletons at the Feast right now, hot off the presses. One of the members said she'd like to borrow it and recommend it for her book next year, when it comes out in paperback. If I chose one of his books, it would be Trans-Sister Radio, which is fascinating. But if my friend wants to pick one of his books . . . well, I don't want overkill.

The person on deck picked a Jodi Picoult book, something with Hearts in the title, and sounding way too similar to Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler. Although, it might be interesting to compare and contrast.

I may write down a bunch of books on slips of paper, then have someone at book group pick a piece of paper out of a hat. Or maybe I'll pick it out of the hat myself.

Right now my list is including: The Age of Innocence, Wuthering Heights, The Glass Castle, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, A Magical Year of Thinking (or something like that), gods in Alabama, and so on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I meant to post this the other day. You might enjoy
The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

She also wrote the Secret Life of Bees that I really enjoyed too.

I hope all is well with you.

Sue said...

Hey Lynne -- how are you? We read both books by Sue Monk Kidd. They make interesting book discussions.

MollyTrolley said...

I was going to say that Shipping News was way too heavy for a group that doesn't want heavy. It's one of my all-time favorite books, though.

Angela Williams Duea said...

My book club finished The Double Bind a month ago, and I thought it was awesome...right up until the ending that he signaled a mile away. What a disappointment.